[Qgis-psc] [QGIS-Developer] Developer support channels

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 00:28:15 PDT 2021

Hi Nyall,

Thank you for the proposals, I like them both a lot, needless to say how I
also miss the QGIS hackfests too.

As a side note, during the last PSC meeting we started talking about the
possibility of having in-person meetings again in the near future: stay
tuned!!!

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 8:36 AM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi PSC, QGIS dev list members!
>
> I would like to kick-start some discussion on possible channels that
> we could use to (hopefully temporarily!!) replace our in-person
> contributor meetups.
>
> Kartoza have been doing a brilliant job at connecting with our user
> base through their QGIS Open Day initiative. While I've personally
> found this to be a good replacement for user conference type events, I
> feel like there's a need for a focused QGIS contributors virtual
> meetup.
>
> I think one of the reasons the QGIS contributor community has
> historically had such a welcoming and friendly feel could be directly
> attributed to the in-person hackfest events. I'm sure I'm not the only
> one who is feeling the absence of these! (I would seriously love to be
> back in Nodebo, hanging out with you all in the woodcutters bar and
> trying to hammer a nail into a stump of wood :P )
>
> While it wouldn't be a replacement for these in-person meetups, I'd
> love to see a semi-regular "Friday night drinks" style video chat for
> QGIS contributors. The intention would be that this is
> social/relationship focused, rather than a "QGIS Planning session"
> meetup.
>
> Would anyone else be interested in this?
>
> On this note, I would also love to see some form of
> contributor-focused text chat room for QGIS contributors. While
> there's plenty of chat rooms around for QGIS users, these tend to
> attract toward "how do I do this in QGIS" questions. For this reason I
> personally avoid them, as I'm looking more for a "random social chat
> with other QGIS contributors" channel where I'm not feeling like I'm
> there to help users out. Would others be interested in this too?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts!
> Nyall

Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net