[Qgis-psc] Advertising Raster FileGeodatabase GDAL work via news feed?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 16:10:47 PST 2022

Hi PSC.

I'm seeking thoughts on whether the news feed can be used to promote a
funding opportunity for developing an open driver for accessing raster
data stored in ESRI Geodatabases.

This is spurred by the recent discussion on the QGIS user list:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2022-December/052260.html,
but has been an big pain point for a long time. These rasters are
currently completely unreadable in QGIS, which presents a big risk for
our users when situations arise (like in the linked thread) where data
custodians are ONLY publishing official data in these formats.

I've had many emails from users who have hit the same situation, and
found it be a barrier to using open source software as a result.

Unfortunately to date Even, myself, and a number of other motivated
users have been unable to find a sponsor for development of the
required GDAL driver. As a result I would like to advertise this
opportunity via the news feed in the hopes that the wider exposure
would lead us to a sponsor, and ultimately to be able to solve this
data restriction once and for all...

Is this acceptable? I can write (and post) the article if approved.

Nyall