[Qgis-psc] QGIS Education / Certification BoF Notes

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Apr 19 05:15:38 PDT 2023

 Dear friends

Attached below are my rough notes from our BoF session on education (&
certification) that we held today at the QGIS conference. Please note that
this is an open discussion and not a bunch of mandates. We will groom our
thoughts into a document which properly describes our plans in a more
concrete way, and then ask the PSC for a mandate to continue.

Please feel free to pick up a discussion here in this thread if you would
like more context or you would like to provide more information.

I have created a document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JoN8ShzLQ5sF6BEYJCiOPZMAWw5sg9l3zt5Jo7OkXjA/edit?usp=sharing>
that
we can use to compose our combined thoughts in a structured manner.

   - QGIS Education Bof
      - Present:
         - Andre Mano - GIS Expert a.dasilvamano at utwente.nl
         - Kurt Menke - Certification Team - kurt at septima.dk
         - Yneke van Iersel -trainee at Geodan yneke.van.iersel at geodan.nl
         - Mark Terlien - Educator m.terlien at has.nl
         - Linda Angulo Lopez - Natural History Museum in Paris
         angulo.linda at gmail.com
         - Marco Bernasocchi - PSC Chair marco at qgis.org
         - David van Winsum - incompany Educator
         david.vanwinsum at anteagroup.nl
         - Marielle Geers - Educator geersplasmans at hotmail.com
      - Open Science Initiative - EU funded programmes
      - Discussion point how to convince departments to adopt QGIS with or
      instead of ESRI
      - Needs a 'gently gently' approach rather than hard mandates
      - Internship market place - discussed idea of pair EU and e.g. SA
      interns
      - Possibly Erasmus funding if the partner org is in EU e.g. Kartoza EU
      - Possibly add new flavour of QGIS certificate specific for
      internships
      - Discussed more the idea of getting certification as a trainer
      rather as an org
      - Perhaps the trainer can have more specific enrollment requirement
         - how will we measure competency? Various options discussed:
         - language issue
         - standardised course via annointed teachers to bootstrap
         - Possible starting group of 'annointed trainers'
            - Giovanni
            - Ujaval
            - Hans
         - Three parts to the programme:
            - Didactic skills
            - Technical skills
            - Ecosystem - how OS and community involvement works, release
            schedule
         - Clear criteria for class
            - Marielle & Mark volunteering to help to develop didactic
            criteria
            - Technical skills requirements criteria developed by Giovanni
            - Ecosystem criteria - Andre Mano to develop criteria
         - Certification maintenance:
            - How long will certification last? Criteria like minimum
            number of certificates to issue over a period (with system
implementation
            to flag these automatically)
         - Cost for trainer certificate:
            - Needs to attend the training of an official train the trainer
            who sets the price himself for the course
            - QGIS Contribution part of the certification - price TBD
            - Big mac index pricing for certification?
            - Need to ensure we spread the grandfathered in train the
            traininer corps around the globe so that there is good
chance to find a
            trainer course at an equitable fee
         - Each certified org needs to have at least one certified trainer
         - Having at least one certified trainer by certified organization,
         however the certificates can still be issued by non-certified
trainers as
         long as the signature of a certified trainer is also included in the
         certificate.
            -
         - Tim to get Dimas to implement big mac based system and train the
         traininer system under current QGIS funding (we have about 8
days available
         TBC). Other technical implementations
            - Platform may only issue course certificates attached to a
            certified trainer
            - Modify the certificates to include the :
               - Org logo
               - Training presenter signature (they do not need to be a
               certified trainer)
               -
            - Next steps:
            - *Tim* to set up a requirements doc and invite all
            participants to share their ideas with a deadline
            - Three coordinators to lead the sections in the user facing
            docs on what the curriculum requirements are (and add them to the
            requirements doc)
               - *Marielle & Mark* volunteering to help to develop didactic
               criteria
               - Technical skills requirements criteria developed by
               *Giovanni* (first need to chat to him)
               - Ecosystem criteria - *Andre Mano* to develop criteria
            - *Marco:* List of grandfathered certifiers to be identified
            and agreed with PSC
            - Communicate to the broader community
            - *Tim* to put Marielle in contact with Seabilwe and Bridget to
            share ideas on how to introduce QGIS into schools
            -
            -
            -
         -