[Qgis-psc] Finalizing the budget

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Thu Dec 14 13:48:21 PST 2023

Dear Ismail,

Thank you for your questions regarding the 2024 budget proposal. The budget
has been discussed and decided by the PSC in plenum.

In 2023 we have a significant increase of available funds - and this is
reflected in the 2024 budget.

Some clarifications about increases or new items in the budget:

*Contributor meetings*:
The necessary budget for contributor meetings is always really hard to
estimate. If we don't need all of it, then fine. On the other hand we want
to enable also contributors from a bit further away to participate at such
meetings and help them with their travel costs.

*OSMF corporate membership*:
Apparently QGIS users put a significant load on the OSMF tiling servers
(several thousand requests per second) and to some extent also on the OSMF
geocoder infrastructure. They asked us, if we could help them with the
financing of their infrastructure.

*PR and code reviewing / maintenance of githu*b:
this has been significantly increased from 14k to 30k - due to demand of
the core developers who say that code reviewing is a substantial effort for
them.

*Bug fixing*:
We also increased (slightly) the budgets for bug fixing, as we regard this
as one of the most important part of our funding.

*Documentation and System administration*:
The documentation and sysadmin budgets have been increased because we
started in 2023 to have 2 dedicated people working on these two domains.
Because 2024 is the first full year for both of them, the budget had to be
increased.

There are also decreases in the budget:

*Packaging*
There is a decrease from 32k to 20k, because in 2023, there was a one time
12k extra effort for Mac packaging.

*Qt6 migration*
There is a decrease compared to 2023, because the bulk of the efforts could
be financed from the 2023 budget (hopefully)

Finally, there is the "*grant budget*":
Here we set aside 30k as a start and said if there would be an increase in
income compared to 2023, that we would dedicate additionals funds towards
the grants budget.

Hope this clarifies our reasoning?

If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best greetings,
Andreas