[Qgis-psc] Finalizing the budget

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Dec 18 11:23:30 PST 2023

Hi all,

Thank you very much for diving into this and continuing this discussion.
Providing comprehensive and supportive pull request reviews is a tough but
important task that needs skills on technical, social and application level.

A solid budget to support this ongoing effort helps a lot to maintain a
friendly, responsive and efficient ecosystem.

One part of the discussion is about commercial companies who provide
professional QGIS development services. I think most voices raised so far
tended towards letting companies handle pull request reviews as part of
their internal development process. While I can see where this comes from,
I think this system also has its limitations. Mainly two questions come to
my mind. On the one hand, for one person companies it is not clear to me
how this should work and on the other hand, an external (i.e. independently
financed) reviewer will always be more independent and free to ask for
bigger changes or worst case even reject some changes. It also happens that
people employed by companies still have enough love for QGIS to devote some
volunteer time to contribute, in which case the same-company rule is also
not ideal.

I am also in favor of adjusting the pull request template, as suggested by
Régis. It's always a thin line between being friendly and being too verbose.

Kind regards
Matthias