[Qgis-psc] Finalizing the budget

Régis Haubourg regis at qgis.org
Wed Dec 13 02:27:50 PST 2023

Hi all,

I would go in favor of a fixed budget too, because when things are not
fixed in advance, I saw in my previous work how customer's projects tend
to take over long term tasks, even if they are funded.

A fixed budget helps clarifying plannings. That's however not the
magical solution.

One point that came to my mind, looking at the pull requests : Should we
treat code review of community work the same way as enterprise funded work?

My point is that review costs should be included in commercial
activities and not relying on QGIS's community donations to fullfill the
QA process.

Community's work however, which is the best way to welcome new long term
contributors, should not lack behind because all dev's have a lot of
commercial contracts or need to focus on family / house building  sometimes

I feel this is the current situation, correct me if I'm wrong.

That said being able to tell if the pull request is originated by
volunteers or not, is a gray zone. When it comes to contract within the
network of our friendly commercial companies, developers know themselves
enough to be able to tell.

When it is a case like, let's say Amazon's PR, it is easy to tell also.

But what about new contributors investing in the own efforts, still
working in a big company or local authority ? I am afraid this is a grey
zone we never will be able to clarify formally and we maybe should use
nudging more than strict rules there.

What about modifying the current pull request template from /
/

/' Reviewing is a process done by project maintainers, mostly on a
volunteer basis. We try to keep the overhead as small as possible and
appreciate if you help us to do so by checking the following list. [..] "/

/"//Thanks a lot for submitting this proposal ! //QGIS.org is a non
profit organization that uses donations a membership fees to fund part
of the code reviews and bug fixing efforts. A lot of this effort is done
on a volunteer basis by project maintainenrs./

/ If your company is making profits, or saving lots of licence fees
using QGIS, sponsoring QGIS's project and hiring directly a QGIS core
developer can help a lot in speeding up the review process.
/

/Community members, you're more than welcome to propose code changes,
we're doing our best to review you're proposal, but we are sometimes a
bit flooded :) "/

Regards

Régis