[Qgis-psc] PSC decision to release LTR less often after 4 months - quarantine rule clash

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Wed Feb 8 23:41:05 PST 2023

Hi PSC colleagues,

I am looking for the meeting minutes where we decided to release the LT
version less often after the initial first 4 months - meaning only every
3-4 months instead of the previous, more dense schedule.

I remember we discussed that many users wouldn't install the updates too
often.

I tried to find this decision in the meeting minutes but couldn't find it.

The reason I bring this decision up again is that there is also a
"quarantine" rule for backports in place - it defines that if a backport is
made, it needs to go into the latest release first for at least one month,
until it can be backported to the LT version. The combination of the
decision to release less often with the quarantine rule can mean an
additional delay for backports to arrive in the LT version, in the worst
case, if the patch did not go into the regular release 1 or 2 months before
the LT release, it could mean a delay of 4 months of a backport.

The quarantine rule is regarded to be a useful rule, because it helped to
avoid major regressions in the LT version, because the backport is first
tested in the regular release.

I think that this quarantine rule wasn't really a topic in the discussion
to release LT less often - or perhaps many PSC members aren't aware of this
rule. Can we revisit this decision in the upcoming meeting next Tuesday,
please?

Thank you,

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)