[Qgis-psc] European CRA and its implications

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Wed Jul 19 01:25:43 PDT 2023

Hi,

I wasn't aware about it - ideally, our umbrella organizations (OSGeo,
FOSSGIS e.V. or counterparts in other countries, in Switzerland maybe
CH-Open) could react - and not all of the individual projects separately.

Of course, we can do our part to support the umbrella organization - and
maybe the more "user visible" and popular projects (like QGIS, PostGIS,
GeoServer, MapServer, OpenLayers, etc.) could use their visibility to
support the efforts of the umbrella organizations - but it should be
somehow coordinated.

You, Marco, can discuss this with OSGeo - this is the link to the "steering
committee" of FOSSGIS: https://fossgis.de/verein/vorstand/

Andreas

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 at 10:06, Marco Bernasocchi via QGIS-PSC <
qgis-psc at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi Vincent,
> thanks a lot for the link. I had honestly missed this.
>
> does not look good at all.
> I ve also shared thid with the OSGeo board.
>
> and will discuss with the psc what we can do.
>
> cheers
>
> Marco Bernasocchi
>
> QGIS.org Chair
> OSGeo.org Board member
> OPENGIS.ch CEO
>
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2023, 09:45 Vincent Picavet (ml) via QGIS-PSC, <
> qgis-psc at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi PSC,
>>
>> Should you not be aware already, there is an existential and urgent risk
>> on the OpenSource ecosystem coming from the European commission, through
>> the CRA text :
>>

>> https://eclipse-foundation.blog/2023/02/23/cyber-resilience-act-good-intentions-and-unintended-consequences/
>>
>> Mozilla has already taken action, and publicly reacted also. So did a few
>> other opensource organizations.
>>
>> Given the strong impact it may have on the OpenSource world, I think
>> QGIS.org should :
>> - make a public announcement / blog article / press release
>> - directly contact MEPs to communicate about the problems raised by the
>> current version of the text
>> - coordinate with other OpenSource organization for actions
>> - optionnaly, make some stronger actions ( e.g. close QGIS downloads as
>> filezilla does, display a message on the web site, display a message on
>> QGIS start window...)
>>
>> The ITRE commission is supposed to meet today, this is therefore an
>> urgent matter. The longer we wait, the more difficult it will be to
>> reestablish the text to an acceptable version.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Vincent

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)