[Qgis-psc] European CRA and its implications

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Wed Jul 19 01:32:22 PDT 2023

Hi again,

Here is an excerpt from the proposed regulation (source
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:52022PC0454 ):

*(10) " In order not to hamper innovation or research, free and open-source
software developed or supplied outside the course of a commercial activity
should not be covered by this Regulation. This is in particular the case
for software, including its source code and modified versions, that is
openly shared and freely accessible, usable, modifiable and
redistributable. In the context of software, a commercial activity might be
characterized not only by charging a price for a product, but also by
charging a price for technical support services, by providing a software
platform through which the manufacturer monetises other services, or by the
use of personal data for reasons other than exclusively for improving the
security, compatibility or interoperability of the software." *

So it seems to be primarily an issue for companies selling "technical
support" around Open Source software - and not so much for the project
itself.

Of course, these companies are very important for the QGIS and OSGeo
ecosystem - and therefore PSC should make an effort here as well.

Andreas