[Qgis-psc] European CRA and its implications

Marco Bernasocchi marco at qgis.org
Wed Jul 19 01:40:12 PDT 2023

Hi Andreas, I understand that sentence also for paid developments. If a
client asks OPENGIS.ch (or any other company) to add an new QGIS feature,
for us it is a commercial activity. so that formulation is really tricky.

I escalated already to OSGeo.

Marco Bernasocchi

QGIS.org Chair
OSGeo.org Board member
OPENGIS.ch CEO

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023, 10:32 Andreas Neumann, <andreas at qgis.org> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Here is an excerpt from the proposed regulation (source
> https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:52022PC0454 ):
>
> *(10) " In order not to hamper innovation or research, free and
> open-source software developed or supplied outside the course of a
> commercial activity should not be covered by this Regulation. This is in
> particular the case for software, including its source code and modified
> versions, that is openly shared and freely accessible, usable, modifiable
> and redistributable. In the context of software, a commercial activity
> might be characterized not only by charging a price for a product, but also
> by charging a price for technical support services, by providing a software
> platform through which the manufacturer monetises other services, or by the
> use of personal data for reasons other than exclusively for improving the
> security, compatibility or interoperability of the software." *
>
> So it seems to be primarily an issue for companies selling "technical
> support" around Open Source software - and not so much for the project
> itself.
>
> Of course, these companies are very important for the QGIS and OSGeo
> ecosystem - and therefore PSC should make an effort here as well.
>
> Andreas
>

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 at 10:25, Andreas Neumann <andreas at qgis.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wasn't aware about it - ideally, our umbrella organizations (OSGeo,
>> FOSSGIS e.V. or counterparts in other countries, in Switzerland maybe
>> CH-Open) could react - and not all of the individual projects separately.
>>
>> Of course, we can do our part to support the umbrella organization - and
>> maybe the more "user visible" and popular projects (like QGIS, PostGIS,
>> GeoServer, MapServer, OpenLayers, etc.) could use their visibility to
>> support the efforts of the umbrella organizations - but it should be
>> somehow coordinated.
>>
>> You, Marco, can discuss this with OSGeo - this is the link to the
>> "steering committee" of FOSSGIS: https://fossgis.de/verein/vorstand/
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 at 10:06, Marco Bernasocchi via QGIS-PSC <
>> qgis-psc at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>> thanks a lot for the link. I had honestly missed this.
>>>
>>> does not look good at all.
>>> I ve also shared thid with the OSGeo board.
>>>
>>> and will discuss with the psc what we can do.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> Marco Bernasocchi
>>>
>>> QGIS.org Chair
>>> OSGeo.org Board member