[Qgis-psc] QGIS LTR release schedule

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Tue Mar 7 12:39:13 PST 2023

Hi Alex and Giovanni,

In today's PSC meeting the PSC discussed (again) the LTR release schedule,
which was recently thinned out due to discussion on QEP 239 "Manual Testing
on LTR Releases and Release Schedule",
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/239> When we
accepted the thinned out schedule for LTR, we did not have on the table
that there is also a "quarantine" rule - that means that a backport should
first go into the regular release where it is tested more broadly, before
it can be backported to LTR. In worst case, there is a waiting period of
about 4 months, until the backport ends up in LTR, because of the thinned
out release schedule.

We want to suggest yet another change in the schedule that the larger
organizations, that start to look at an LTR usually after it passed the
first three months, can still get regular monthly releases until we reached
approx. the 3.xx.9 release. Then I think we can thin out the schedule as
planned before.

[image: image.png]

Alex and Giovanni: would you support that change? What additional resources
or support would you need to handle this change with respect to manual
testing?

Thank you for your reply,

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)