[Qgis-psc] QGIS LTR release schedule

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Mar 7 12:46:01 PST 2023

Hi Alex and Giovanni,

In today's PSC meeting the PSC discussed (again) the LTR release
schedule, which was recently thinned out due to discussion on QEP 239
"Manual Testing on LTR Releases and Release Schedule", [1] When we
accepted the thinned out schedule for LTR, we did not have on the table
that there is also a "quarantine" rule - that means that a backport
should first go into the regular release where it is tested more
broadly, before it can be backported to LTR. In worst case, there is a
waiting period of about 4 months, until the backport ends up in LTR,
because of the thinned out release schedule.

We want to suggest yet another change in the schedule so that the larger
organizations, that usually only start to look at an LTR after it passed
the first three months, can still get regular monthly releases until we
reached approx. the 3.xx.9 release. Then I think we can thin out the
schedule as planned.

Alex and Giovanni: would you support that change? What additional
resources or support would you need to handle this change with respect
to manual testing?

Thank you for your reply,
Andreas

Links: