[Qgis-psc] QGIS LTR release schedule

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 03:15:07 PDT 2023

Hello all,

Alessandro asked me to resume the situation of LTR release testing cycles,
so I decided to revive this thread. For further detail please review the
messages above.
The last test cycle I ran was for 3.28.4 (OsGeo4w and MSI installers on
windows), that's when the 3.30.0 version was out, in march. According to my
original plan, I have missed the 3.28.8, when the 3.32.0 release was made.

At that time, in march, I mentioned that by the time I started the tests,
lot's of more savvy folks had already downloaded and installed the new
version, because it was updated on OSGeo4w. So any nasty generic bugs would
have been found by the users right away. Since the goal is to avoid that,
the testing feeled a bit useless. I suggested if we could implement a (at
least) one week packaging freeze. Not sure if this would be possible or
not, but after the bug campaign, all merges would stop and the packaging
preparation would be done and ready on qgis-ltr-full-dev. We would then
test that branch for that "packaging freezing" period, and report back on
any issue. Once the found bugs are fixed or classified as non-blocking and
tests pass, all the packaging changes would become available as
qgis-ltr-full on osgeow4. We can then decide if we also want to run the
smoke tests on the MSI installers once they become available.

I know that this would delay the release a bit more, but if this was
implemented, I would happily restart the testing work.

Let me know if this is not possible, or if my suggestion has other
implications that I may not be taking in consideration.

Best regards,

Alexandre Neto