[Qgis-tr] fa_IR or fa translation

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Thu Oct 10 00:04:32 PDT 2013

Hi Werner,

I received a msg via transifex from Masoud asking to add fa_IR (persian
in Iran) for website/docs.
But because for the application we already had 'fa' and I do not want to
have different language codes for the same language, I asked if it was
ok to have 'fa' (without the country suffix) too.
See his answer below.

Do you know the translator of fa in QGIS? Would you ask him/her to
change the code to fa_IR too? Or otherwise sent him the mail below and
see if we can keep the persian code for our different projects in sync?

OR should we move to the 3 letter codes of languages?
Is somebody really comfortable with all this different codes, who can
inform us what the best way is to used codes for languages.
We want to maximize translations, but minimize the number of work or
number of codes.

Regards,
Richard Duivenvoorde

Hi Rechard

It's better to know in ISO 639-3 the 'fa' is separated to 2 different code.
First is 'Dari' with the 'prs' code and the other is 'Western' and
specified by 'pes' code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639-3

Our target will be the western fa with the name of fa_IR, because it is
the official language in Persian.
So I suggest you use the fa_IR from now on.

Regards,

Masoud Pashotan