[Qgis-tr] el or el_GR

Nick Ves vesnikos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 22:45:02 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Werner Macho <werner.macho at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Richard!
>
> Hmmm .. I cannot remember why it has been called el_GR but usually if
> there is more than one language spoken in a country there must be a
> way to differentiate them.

For Greece, the only official spoken language are "Modern Greeks" -
there are none other language I am aware off

> For the Greek language I suppose there is only greek and not a
> "different" version of greek.
> Probably I should just rename the ts file to el
>
> according to iso639-2.. hmm .. might be a good idea .. Historically we
> seem to have a mixture of different standards ..
>
> so lets just say we use iso639-2 from now on .. and I will rework the
> ts files ..

about el_GR the only explanation I could find by a quick search [0] is
that multiple codes assigned to the same language are to be considered
synonyms.
I'll check in some translator forums and try to provide a more complete answer

On a side note, recently I reinstalled my OS, and as debian goes, as a
langange the greeks are refered as el_GR.UTF8. Maybe  if I dig in
debian's translating forums I might be able to find more info on that
?

[0] http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php