[Qgis-tr] Concerns about translations and QGIS overall credibility

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 22:39:07 PDT 2020

Alexandre Neto kirjoitti 30.6.2020 klo 1.20:

> So, I wanted to know if more of you face the same issues. If so, would
> it be wiser to default the language always to English and let the user
> find out how to change to his language if he wants to?

Would it be possible to have two (or more) languages installed, like the
native and English, so it would be easy to select and switch between the
two? I'm not 100 % sure but I don't think it is now possible to switch
between languages easily.

I think the default should be the default of the system, like I get the
Finnish version as I have Finnish as the default language in my Linux.

That would also help translations. I help the Finnish translation
occasionally and it really is difficult sometimes without context.

I think the Finnish version was more or less unusable some years ago and
bad for the overall credibility of QGIS but is now better and quite
credible IMO. I think the Finnish version is used professionally - i.e.,
companies sell projects that use it for customers that will use the
Finnish version. But I also hear that more advanced users still prefer
the English version.

Best regards,

Ari