[Qgis-tr] [QGIS-Developer] Concerns about translations and QGIS overall credibility

Osman Yalçın YILMAZ yilmazy at istanbul.edu.tr
Tue Jun 30 21:27:15 PDT 2020

Dear all,
I think, like other friends, bad translation will affect the use of QGIS.
In the courses I gave, I also had the complaints mentioned here. As stated,
I found a solution to this issue, which is difficult to solve since this is
a voluntary job. Giving the language file (qgis_tr.qm) that I have
translated to my own lecturers and asking them to copy it to the
appropriate folder. Because there really are some serious mistakes and
inconsistencies. Rather than personalizing the issue and complaining and
gossiping, it was appropriate for me to go through such a solution.
 With this excuse, I would also like to ask this. Is there a solution to
prevent worse problems like this that can be caused by the translation of
people who are not well-intentioned? Is every volunteer accepted to develop
source code? Of course, we cannot keep the translation with source code
development. However, the translation provides an understanding of the
software developed by the user in his own language. My humble suggestion is
this; is to look at the documents showing that the translators work on this
subject. For example, if he works at the university, whether he uses QGIS
in his publications and lectures. If he is working in the sector, whether
he uses QGIS in his projects.
Let me add and finish a subject that I need to specify. Is there anything
to consider for translations under "QgsExpression"? A rather dangerous
section for translation.
Best regards,

Alexandre Neto <senhor.neto at gmail.com>, 1 Tem 2020 Çar, 00:52 tarihinde
şunu yazdı:

> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on
> https://www.transifex.com/qgis/
>
> Hi,
>
> A terça, 30/06/2020, 18:34, Raymond Nijssen <r.nijssen at terglobo.nl>
> escreveu:
>

>> On 30-06-2020 18:26, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>> > That probably depends on the topography and ruggedness in your country
>> > ;-) in german language we have translations for these terms:
>> >
>> > "Analytische Schattierung" or "Schummerung" and "Rauhigkeitsindex".
>>
>> But we have 40 words for 'flat' Andreas! :P
>>

>> Same problem for the Dutch language, some translations are too literally
>> and usually really funny but not helpful at all if you want to
>> understand QGIS.
>> I often tell people in my course to consider using English. It is not
>> just more clear and accurate, but also easier when you need to google
>> your way around in QGIS. Googling for 'uitdrukking voor mazen berekenen'
>> will not give you many QGIS related results.
>>

> I do the same.
>

>> I like the idea of installing English by default, or better, let the
>> user choose during or right after installation. This way it is a more
>> conscious choice.
>>

> That would definitely be the best option.
>

>> I also like the idea of having a .tr_ignore list with terminology that
>> should not be translated. But it will indeed be different for every
>> language. So maybe local dk_ignore, nl_ignore, de_ignore? Maintained by
>> the local translation teams?
>>

> In the Portuguese team, what we are thinking to do is add some terminology
> to transifex glossary with the english source as the final translation,
> forcing translator not to change those.
>

>> Recently I was translating Input on transifex and was pleased by the
>> screen shots they added. They gave me a lot of context and I'm sure they
>> made my translations more accurate. Could we use that in QGIS as well?
>>

> I believe that's a paid functionality, not sure we can do it. But yes,
> that would help a lot. Although, its still probably hard to maintain for
> QGIS GUI, because it has so many dialogs.
>

>> And a bout the laughing people during courses, just tell them they can
>> fix it themselves and are very welcome to. Then they usually turn very
>> quiet.
>>

> Me too.
>
> Maybe I am overreacting, my biggest worry is that some folks use the
> "funny" translations as an excuse to say that QGIS is not a professional
> software.
>
> Alex
>

>> Regards,
>> Raymond

Osman Yalçın YILMAZ
İstanbul Üniversitesi-Cerrahpaşa, Orman Fakültesi
Istanbul University-Cerrahpaşa, Faculty of Forestry

Lütfen
bu e-postayı yazdırmadan önce çevreye olan etkisini dikkate alınız.
Unutmayınız ki; dünyadaki kağıt tüketiminin yarısı kazanılırsa, her yıl 8
milyon hektar orman alanı (Ege Bölgesi büyüklüğünde) yok olmaktan
kurtulacaktır.

Please
take into account the impact on the environment before printing this
e-mail. Do not forget that if we reduce our paper consumption by half,
every year 8 million hectares of forest (an area the size of Aegean Region
in Turkey) will be saved from vanishing.