[Qgis-tr] Reoccuring strings

Delaz J delazj at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 15:10:19 PDT 2022

Hi,

TL;DR: I confirm that the issue with pluralized strings appearing
untranslated in the new release in Transifex is still occurring. In
recent releases, we've had to translate those strings again and again.
In Transifex, pluralized strings are displayed as translated in
qgis-application resource, as untranslated in
release-3-28--qgis-application resource BUT in GitHub, these strings are
reported as translated in both 3.28 and master branches. That misleads
translators and makes them (unnecessarily?) do the job multiple times
(and TBH Transifex is not that friendly for this type of strings).

In details, querying Transifex strings across the various resource
files, I come to (links might not be accessible to everyone but you
should come to same results if you replace the language in the URL):

- The number of pluralized strings in master before releasing 3.28 is
182 and all were translated:
https://www.transifex.com/qgis/QGIS/translate/#en_US/qgis-application/114102351?q=translated%3Ayes+pluralized%3Ayes+translated_before%3A2022-10-21

- The number of pluralized strings translated in 3.28 resources a day
after the release is 0
(https://www.transifex.com/qgis/QGIS/translate/#en_US/release-3-28--qgis-application?q=pluralized%3Ayes+translated_before%3A2022-10-22)

So strings that are translated in master are not pushed as such in 3.28
file. We lose translations in Transifex.

BUT

If you compare Transifex resources and i18n file in github (e.g. let's
try to find /is_selected/ in pluralized strings):

- Transifex reports the pluralized string as not translated in 3.28
resource (but translated in master):
https://www.transifex.com/qgis/QGIS/translate/#en_US/$/411174870?q=pluralized%3Ayes+text%3Ais_selected

- Github reports the pluralized strings to be translated in 3.28 branch
(and master):
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qgis/QGIS/release-3_28/i18n/qgis_en_US.ts

So master seems to sync Transifex and source code, but 3.28 fails to.

Hoping that there are enough elements for people who can help fix that
mismatch and reduce the workload on translators.

Regards,

Harrissou Sant-anna