[Qgis-user] Cannot open DEM

Marco Pasetti marco.pasetti at alice.it
Wed Jul 2 16:52:33 PDT 2008

Hi Mikhail,

you need to use the GRASS plugin in QGIS;

if I understood right you want to use the following raster data (I read from
the pointed web site):

Data Statistics (30M DEM)
Size:  ~10mb
Resolution: 30 meter
Available format:  USGS DEM
Available geographic area: 7.5 minute quad, 1 degree block
Projection: UTM coordinate system, NAD 83, meters

so you need to:

1) create a new GRASS location with the correct EPSG ID code; I think it
should be: 3081
see http://www.epsg-registry.org/ for more details (put "nad83" in the
"name" search box of the "query by filter" page)

2) import the raster using r.in.gdal (from the r.in.gdal guide I have that
the "USGS ASCII DEM (.dem)" format is supported)
remember to select the command option: "override projection (use location's
projection)

Hope this helps,

Marco