[Qgis-user] Cannot open DEM

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Jul 4 13:55:09 PDT 2008

On 2-Jul-08, at 5:09 PM, Mikhail Umorin wrote:

> Hello —
>
> I am trying to load a DEM from here:
> http://www.tnris.org/datadownload/quad.jsp?Quad=Sabine%20Pass
>
> ("30m DEM" link :
> ftp://ftp2.tnris.org/Elevation/DEMs/30m/2993/g299317.zip)
>
> It is supposedly from USGS but I get error saying that it is not a
> supported raster source.
>
> What is the problem? Can someone help me?

Mikhail,

I also get your error on that site's DEM file with a gdalinfo command
("ERROR 1: Does not appear to be a USGS DEM file").

On a hunch that the place where you downloaded that USGS DEM from is
distributing whacky data, I did the following:

1) download the USGS DEM data from a different source, such as from
the GeoCommunity site:

		- http://data.geocomm.com/catalog/US/61085/2820/group4-3.html

2) since that source is in the USGS DEM SDTS format, you can use Sol
Katz's sdts2dem utility (cool!) to convert it to the ASCII format that
you need for QGIS:

      		- http://data.geocomm.com/dem/sdts2dem.html

3) open that new USGS ASCII DEM in QGIS (screengrab attached).  sweet!