[Qgis-user] Writing plugins

Borys Jurgiel borys at wolf.most.org.pl
Mon Jul 21 02:44:33 PDT 2008

Monday 21 of July 2008 09:54:55 Agustin Lobo napisaƂ(a):
> Could any one suggest a roadmap to
> become able of writing qgis python plugins
> from scratch?

PYTHON
There is a lot of tutorials available, take a look at this collection:
http://www.python.org/doc/
or use google for papers in Spanish. The best known online book is:
http://diveintopython.org/
Very quick introduction (one of the many, maybe not the best):
http://www.poromenos.org/tutorials/python

QGIS
Developing plugins:
http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/DevelopingPluginsWithPython
That's rather about separate applications:
http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/PythonBindings
QGIS API - your best friend (I strongly suggest to add the API documentation
to your browser's search bar):
http://doc.qgis.org/classes.html

QT API
as above, the second of your best friends:
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/classes.html

SOME EXTERNAL MODULES:
http://gispython.org/shapely/manual.html
http://rpy.sourceforge.net/documentation.html
http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net/

I hope it's a helpful starting point for further googling.

You can also play and experiment in any python commandline interpreter (it
contains help for most classes). The QGIS python console isnit the best (lack
of history is the most painful), but possibility of experinent on live QGIS
is sometimes very handy.

Regards!
B.