[Qgis-user] plugin installation

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Mar 7 00:43:55 PST 2008

"perturbation", mmm had to look up this one

since we are cleaning up these perturbations ;-), I thought to add a
small refinement.
What about the idea that we all add a file 'version.txt' into the root
of the zip. Is it possible for the repository (and so for the python
plugin-installer) to serve that from the zip when people ask for it
like: http://spatialserver.net/pyqgis/plugins/mapserver_export.zip?version
or something like that?
In that way we can put some plugin details and version information in it
(a little more verbose then we do in the 'description'-field now. I'm
really missing this more verbose version information when stuff is not
working, and I want to know IF there is a newer version available, and
what is fixed in that one...)
On the upload of a plugin we can check for the existence of that file,
like we check the zip now isn't it?

Another idea-balloon (sorry if I'm firing to much idea's): what if we
ask maintainers of plugins to add a blog-item for every plugin. In that
way as a maintainer you can give some more information (screendumps)
about it, and other people can add comments on it, adding idea's patches
or help?

By the way, I really think the plugin concept is doing great!

Grtz Richard Duivenvoorde

example version.txt:
MAINTAINER(s)
Richard Duivenvoorde (richard at duif.net)

DESCRIPTION
Generates a html image map (image+html) from a given polygon layer.
Working for at least shapefiles and postgis tables
bla bla

TODO
- when it's possible to do buffering, add functionality for points and lines
- or let it work together with the geoprocessing plugin

VERSIONS
0.2
fixed some bugs, now working for postgres also
bug: abcde
bug: fixed this one

0.1
first try. Working for shapefiles