[Qgis-user] qgis and gps in real-time

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 06:33:18 PST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 9:59 AM, andrea pacifici <pacifici at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I can ask to people working to the on-board electronic to send gps
>  info in a specific format (maybe nmea could be OK). But I have to
>  understand if Qgis is able to show in real-time the position of the
>  balloon in a map.

Yes, QGIS has no problems to show some data in real-time. This is one
of the features of map canvas: on top of the rendered map you can put
arbitrary number of items which can be updated whenever needed.

I have implemented something similar in one project:
http://www.mapserver.sk/~wonder/qnavigator/
There's also a simulator of GPS: You can put some waypoints on the map
and it will be simulating GPS input and drawing the position,
following the waypoints with speed you've set.

Martin