[QGIS-user] Using GRASS' shell from within QGIS

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Fri Nov 14 21:58:53 PST 2008

Hi

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 11:59 +0100, Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Nikos,
>
> I think that this is again a consequence of the different point of
> view of developers and users: from a user point of view, this is
> clearly a bug, it's something that does not work as expected.

My view on filing bugs is that in general its better to file a bug if
you are uncertain as to whetherr it merits a bug report or not with the
following understanding:

 - just because a bug is filed doesnt always mean we can or will fix it.
Sometimes people ask for things that will require many man hours to to
and offer little reward to work ratio benifit when compared to the other
issues int he queue. Also some things are simply not fixable due to
whatever technical reason.
 - sometimes we dont fix a bug because the users vision of how QGIS
should behave doesnt match ours. Hey we are all humans it can happen...
- always check that your bug has not already been filed by someone else
since dealing with duplicate tickets causes a lot of time wasting.
- always provide contact details and make sure you are subscribed to the
ticket entry (either by adding yourself to CC field or by logging in
before filing the ticket).
- dont be offended if we dont see tickets as having the same priority as
you do. While we appreciate its inconvenient if some issue prevents you
doing your work, we need to take the big picture view of things and
focus on things that affect the largest proportion of our user base.

Regards

Tim

> The "solution" I'm using is just opening an xterm with xterm &
> and can work
> from the new terminal with no problem. But this is just a temporary
> solution. May be we should at least document the problem and
> the workaround, the current situation causes lots of frustration
> to newcomers.
>
> Agus
> > -----------------------------
> >
> > Message: 6
> > Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:15:29 -0800
> > From: Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>
> > Subject: Re: [QGIS-user] Using GRASS' shell from within QGIS
> > To: qgis-user <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org>

> > I don't think it's a bug, I think it's a lack of features possibly due
> > to a lack of features in QT.
> >
> > I'll let the developers weigh in on it but suggest you file a feature
> > request on trac.osgeo.org/qgis
> >
> > Alex

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting & Support Services