[Qgis-user] Problem an the ploting contour lines

Sergio Zárate Pedroche szpedroche at yahoo.com.mx
Fri Oct 24 08:00:06 PDT 2008

> Hello,
>
> The my problem is to create a map with contour lines.
>
> My file text is constituting by : latitute (y), longitude (x) and
> precipitation (z).
>
> Want to plot the contour lines of precipitation with the qgis.
>
>  This is possible? How I could do this in qgis?
>
> Thanks!

GRASS can do that from qgis, but first, you need to generate a
surface by interpolation, for example with  with r.surf.rst, (http://
grass.itc.it/gdp/html_grass63/v.surf.rst.html), after which contour
may be obtained from the resulting raster map. You may also have to
use a mask to limit the operation to the area of your data. However,
the qgis module limits the options to set in your operation, so maybe
it is also advisable to run it from within GRASS.

Hope it is useful,

Dr. Sergio Zárate Pedroche
José María Arroyo 228
Morelia, 58341, Michoacán