[Qgis-user] Saving projects with relative paths

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Fri Dec 4 09:18:45 PST 2009

Here is my experience on a Mac, with a version 1.3.0 that I installed
back in October:
    <!DOCTYPE qgis PUBLIC 'http://mrcc.com/qgis.dtd' 'SYSTEM'>
    <qgis projectname="MyProject" version="1.3.0-Mimas" >

I have two copies of a project file for the same project, one with
relative paths and one with absolute paths.

The relative paths are correctly specified in the project file (i.e.,
opening it with a text editor and inspecting the path names).
However, when opening the file that uses relative paths it doesn't
find the files. It does tell me where it's looking for them, and
based on that it appears that it prepends the relative path with the
wrong directory. In other words, the project file with relative paths
is *saved* correctly, but it is not opened correctly (on a Mac). I
guess this is a bug, as suggested by Giovanni, but I have not yet
looked for updates.

A work around is to manually edit the project files to change file
paths to valid absolute paths on the Mac side.

-Don

At 1:09 PM -0700 12/3/09, Kurt Menke wrote:

>I have a project I need to share with people using Mac SnowLeopard
>and I run Windows XP Pro.   I've just downloaded QGIS v 1.3 (Mimas)
>after reading this version supports relative paths in projects.  I
>went into project properties and unchecked "Save Absolute Paths".
>However, when my end users attempt to open the project QGIS can't
>find any of the data.  I'm starting out with just two layers
>(shapefiles) alongside the qgis project file all stored in a single
>folder named test.
>
>Should this be working?  Is there a way to share projects between
>windows and Mac's?
>
>Thanks.
>Kurt
>
>**************************