[Qgis-user] alternatives to join attributes

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 08:47:13 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Edmond, Brian S
<BrianEdmond at missouristate.edu> wrote:
> Katie,
>

> Your foray into PostgreSQL and PostGIS will not be wasted if you plan to do
> more GIS in the future.  Even if you do it only for this project, it should
> help you tremendously.

Katie,

It can be a little daunting to figure out where to start with PostGIS,
but when you are dealing with large amounts of spatial features and
related attribute records, moving to a spatially-enabled relational
database is really the best solution.

Like Brian said, learning PostGIS will not be wasted time.  Even if
you end up using a different spatial database in the future, most of
the knowledge transfers well.

If you aren't already using William Kyngesburye's GIS frameworks and
binaries for the Mac, I recommend it.  It is quite a reasonable way to
install QGIS, PostGIS, MapServer, and all of the software dependencies
that they need.

http://www.kyngchaos.com/macosx:index
http://www.kyngchaos.com/macosx:build:index

You can download the PostGIS workshop from FOSS4G 2009 at:
http://2009.foss4g.org/workshops/#workshop_03

David.