[Qgis-user] alternatives to join attributes

Edmond, Brian S BrianEdmond at MissouriState.edu
Thu Dec 17 08:19:21 PST 2009

Katie,

Your foray into PostgreSQL and PostGIS will not be wasted if you plan to do more GIS in the future.  Even if you do it only for this project, it should help you tremendously.  I routinely plot 7K+ unique points as a PostGIS layer using QGIS and the time to plot them is almost instantaneous.  Furthermore, a whole world of spatial capabilities will open to you with all of the PostGIS functions available to do analysis on your data.  I do have an iMac (at work), but I run my setup on a Kubuntu machine (at home) so I might be able to help you a little bit there.

Start by installing PostgreSQL and getting some familiarity with it.  It will help if you know SQL and have worked with databases before (they are all essentially the same from a user POV).  The desktop tool pgAdmin will help you guify PostgreSQL a bit, but you'll still need to do a few things manually or from the command line.  I checked and there is a Mac OS port for pgAdmin.  (I prefer using phpPgAdmin, but it would require that you have a web server and PHP installed on your Mac.)

Good luck!

From: qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Carbonari, Katie (IS)
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:11 AM
To: David Fawcett
Cc: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: RE: [Qgis-user] alternatives to join attributes

I tried doing that at one point, but I've never used databases before and didn't get how to include them into QGIS. I tried going under "Add PostGIS Table" but wasn't really sure how to connect to my database. I have my dbf files stored locally on my machine, yet the gui wants me to make a "PostgreSQL Connection"; what exactly is that and is there a more simple way to access my dbf files?

Thanks,
katie