[Qgis-user] Ubuntu: How to add MrSID and ECW support into GDAL

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Dec 21 12:23:31 PST 2009

FYI, I forwarded this exchange to Alan Boudreault (UbuntuGIS
maintainer), and he indicated that the ldconfig step is not required for
MrSid since we use a static library (there is no shared lib available
for MrSid). In the ECW case, the ldonfig step is required, and he made a
note about this for when we have a real tutorial (for now we only link
to an email from the list archives).

Thanks for reporting the issue... and as Afustin wrote, this is a wiki,
so feel free to contribute and improve it.

Daniel

Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Micha,
> Those are not my directions, but the "official" directions
> (which were not available the first time I tried to use these
> libraries.
>
> Maybe you can try to contact the author (signed Bill Kristan)
> or modify the page, it's a wiki. Anyway, thanks for the
> tip. We might want to have our own version in the users corner
> of the qgis pages.
>
> Agus
>
> Micha Silver wrote:
>> On 30/11/2009 18:10, Agustin Lobo wrote:
>>>  FYI:
>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/ubuntugis/wiki/UserTutorials
>>>
>> Hi Agus:
>> The procedures in the above tutorials went smooth as butter (on Ubuntu
>> 9.10).
>> I might suggest one minor addition to the ecw instructions: you need
>> to run a
>> sudo ldconfig
>> after installing the libecw SDK so that gdal finds the new library.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Micha
>>> Agus
>>>
>>> This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/