Error loading HomeRange plugin on Mac OSX[was: Re: [Qgis-user] Fwd: Hello, ]

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Jul 16 07:35:16 PDT 2009

...some random notes.  (such a long email trail here, I'll put
everything up top)

I don't know about rpy2 from easy_install.  Last fall I installed it
from a source download.  let's see...

unzip the source, then in the source folder:

python setup.py build
sudo python setup.py install

About trying to execute the GDAL binary - it's a library.

For the numpy requirement, the system Python includes an old 1.0
version, but my GDAL framework includes a recent 1.1 version.  I'm not
sure if the numpy version is important.

With all this, I was able to install and enable the HomeRange plugin
in Qgis 1.1.0 once - it loaded and showed up in the plugins menu.
After restarting Qgis, I got an error loading HomeRange:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "", line 2, in
   File "/Users/kyngchaos/.qgis//python/plugins/HomeRange_plugin/
__init__.py", line 32, in
     from HRplugin_main import HRPlugin
   File "/Users/kyngchaos/.qgis//python/plugins/HomeRange_plugin/
HRplugin_main.py", line 40, in
     from HRplugin_dialog import Dialog
   File "/Users/kyngchaos/.qgis//python/plugins/HomeRange_plugin/
HRplugin_dialog.py", line 44, in
     from HRplugin_algorithm import *
   File "/Users/kyngchaos/.qgis//python/plugins/HomeRange_plugin/
HRplugin_algorithm.py", line 46, in
     import rpy2.robjects as robjects
   File "/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/rpy2/robjects/__init__.py",
line 12, in
     import rpy2.rinterface as rinterface
   File "/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/rpy2/rinterface/
__init__.py", line 6, in
     R_HOME = os.popen("R RHOME").readlines()
IOError: [Errno 4] Interrupted system call

If I do:

import rpy2.rinterface

in the Qgis python console, I get the IOError.  If I do that in a
Terminal python session, no error.