[Qgis-user] shape file to gridded

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Sun Mar 15 10:24:04 PDT 2009

Hi Marc

I don't think QGIS can do this natively, although via the Grass plugin, you may be able to, as Grass can do this sort of thing.

I think your best option is to use GMT & GDAL/OGR.

OGR can be used to export the shapefile into a variety of formats, including GMT. My preference is to use PostGIS for this sort of thing, as you have more flexibility, & generating a GMT point file is a simple SQL. Loading a shapefile into PostGIS can be done with ogr2ogr or with the shp2pgsql utility that comes with PostGIS.

GMT can grid point data using a variety of algorithms & paramaters, & the native grid file format is netCDF, althiugh an export to ascii is easy enough as well.

http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu
http://www gdal.org (go to the OGR page, & see the ogr2ogr utility)
http://www.postgis.org

Cheers,