[Qgis-user] Projection not recognised EPSG:31259

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 03:43:49 PDT 2009

Hi to all!
With recent changes from Martin there is progress in finding the right
projection but I still have a problem with some shapefiles.

Shapefile can be found here:
http://www.noel.gv.at/bilder/d25/hw_anschlagslinien.zip?10040

And as you can see they are freely providie by the austrian government.
Looking in the provided .prj file there is definitly a
MGI_Austria_GK_M34 used .. so my guess is it should be recognised as a
EPSG ID:31259.
In fact the strings look nearly the same but
+towgs84=577.326,90.129,463.919,5.137,1.474,5.297,2.4232
is missing.

So can somebody tell me where the thing is going wrong? I know it IS
EPSG 31259 but why is it not recognised and where is the failure?

Is the provided .PRJ file wrong? (as we all know - even governments can
fail) or is there some "translating"-problem?

I guess the provided .PRJ is out of ESRI as it is recognised with ESRI
without any problem.

Probably I havev to tell my government that they are failing but please
tell me where and when what goes wrong..

Or probably tell me on which mailing list this mail belongs

thx in advance
Werner