[Qgis-user] notes on digitizing with QGIS1.2.0

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 04:21:18 PDT 2009

Hello list
Having installed QGIS1.2.0 and done some trial digitizing I just want
to leave here some remarks of my experience:

- Overall experience: Great. Especially the new undo/redo capability
is really useful. Excellent job!

- The whole digitizing process feels a lot more robust now. I'm not
afraid to crash QGIS everytime I make an edit as was usual for me some
releases back :)

- I'd like to propose adding the "Numerical Vertex Edit" plugin to the
main QGIS code base. I use it regularly for precise placement of
points and it would be a good enhancement to the digitizing toolbar
IMO.

- I noticed some small inconsistencies in the UI:

1. The button for adding a new part to a polygon is called "Add
Island", but the button to remove it is called "Remove Part". They
should be using the same name, be it island or part.

2. when digitizing polygons, some tools allow you to click anywhere
inside the polygon you want to edit while others expect you to click
on the vertices.
To clarify:
2.1. Say I made a new polygon and now want to move it somewhere.
2.2. As expected, I select the adequate tool and then click anywhere
inside my new polygon to drag it wherever I want.
2.3. Now suppose I created a new part for my polygon (It's great to
have that message asking me to select the polygon first ;)).
2.4. Later I change my mind and try to delete this new part. The
expected behaviour would be to select the adequate tool and then click
anywhere inside the part in order to delete it. This doesn't work, and
pops up the familiar "Could not snap segment" message. The way to make
it work is clicking on some vertice of the part I wish to delete,
which does the trick of deleting the whole part. This is not very
intuitive. Besides that, if the vertice is shared by other polygons
they all get deleted (which is where the undo functionality comes to
the rescue).

3. When digitizing point and line layers the "Delete part" button
should be greyed out, as it doesn't do anything

4. Using the "gis" icon theme, the "copy features" icon that shows up
in the digitizing toolbar is too grey. It is easily mistaken for a
disabled tool. I think it should be a bit darker.

Thanks again!