[Qgis-user] notes on digitizing with QGIS1.2.0

Richard Kostecky csf.kostej at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 07:08:34 PDT 2009

Hello

at first it's good to know that someone appreciate changes.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da <
ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello list
> Having installed QGIS1.2.0 and done some trial digitizing I just want
> to leave here some remarks of my experience:
>
> - Overall experience: Great. Especially the new undo/redo capability
> is really useful. Excellent job!
>
> - The whole digitizing process feels a lot more robust now. I'm not
> afraid to crash QGIS everytime I make an edit as was usual for me some
> releases back :)
>
> - I'd like to propose adding the "Numerical Vertex Edit" plugin to the
> main QGIS code base. I use it regularly for precise placement of
> points and it would be a good enhancement to the digitizing toolbar
> IMO.
>
> - I noticed some small inconsistencies in the UI:
>
> 1. The button for adding a new part to a polygon is called "Add
> Island", but the button to remove it is called "Remove Part". They
> should be using the same name, be it island or part.
>
> For this I have a simple explanation. Adding island is only to add "part"
in this case island to polygon. And it's only action provided directly by
QGIS which creates multi part geometry. Tool Remove Part was introduces
because it works not only with polygons but is able to delete also part of
multi-point or multi-line feature. As I know QGIS isn't able to create them,
but they can be already in some shapefiles, so it's good to be able to
delete part of it. That's just reason why it's called remove part and it's
not deactivated on point or line geometries.

> 2. when digitizing polygons, some tools allow you to click anywhere
> inside the polygon you want to edit while others expect you to click
> on the vertices.
> To clarify:
> 2.1. Say I made a new polygon and now want to move it somewhere.
> 2.2. As expected, I select the adequate tool and then click anywhere
> inside my new polygon to drag it wherever I want.
> 2.3. Now suppose I created a new part for my polygon (It's great to
> have that message asking me to select the polygon first ;)).
> 2.4. Later I change my mind and try to delete this new part. The
> expected behaviour would be to select the adequate tool and then click
> anywhere inside the part in order to delete it. This doesn't work, and
> pops up the familiar "Could not snap segment" message. The way to make
> it work is clicking on some vertice of the part I wish to delete,
> which does the trick of deleting the whole part. This is not very
> intuitive. Besides that, if the vertice is shared by other polygons
> they all get deleted (which is where the undo functionality comes to
> the rescue).
>
> I'm sorry that's my problem I'll think about it and provide change probably
to next version.

> 3. When digitizing point and line layers the "Delete part" button
> should be greyed out, as it doesn't do anything
>
> 4. Using the "gis" icon theme, the "copy features" icon that shows up
> in the digitizing toolbar is too grey. It is easily mistaken for a
> disabled tool. I think it should be a bit darker.
>
> Thanks again!
>

> --

Richard