[Qgis-user] Add a column to the table of a vector object

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Sep 17 09:47:30 PDT 2009

On Thu, 17. Sep 2009 at 11:56:03 +0200, Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Editing in OO is faster but I found that while back
> in QGIS the new field is displayed in the table and in Properties/Atributes
> (and you can base the symbology on it), the new field is not
> print when you use the Identify Features tool on the display. Is
> this a bug or a normal behavior? Perhaps some kind of updating of the
> vector object is required?

Don't know.  I just thought OO was the easiest way to turn a CSV into DBF.

> Regarding
> "Given a recent GDAL (ie >=1.6) you don't need the table
> manager to add fields to shapes anymore. GDAL and in turn QGIS can do it
> on it's own. "
>
> How? There is no Add Field button in the Table even if you toggle
> Editing on.

In the (vector) layer properties' attribute tab.  If your GDAL/OGR is capable
of adding fields the button should be enabled for shapes in editing mode.   The
delete tab will be disabled in any case for shapes as OGR cannot do that yet
(but there is a patch by Martin Dobias in GDAL's TRAC to enable field
deletion).

But given proper database permissions both buttons are enabled for postgis
layer.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden