[Qgis-user] Large Format Printing (A0)

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Sep 21 05:49:45 PDT 2009

Craig Leat wrote:
> Alex:
>> Even with proprietary apps, I always create a ps of pdf file before
>> sending to the plotter. I have yet to meet a graphic intensive program
>> that doesn't require this, in order to have sane printing times free of
>> errors.
>
> This is an interesting suggestion. Do you always create the ps file
> because your plotter supports ps directly? If the plotter doesn't
> contain an inbuilt ps interpreter are there any advantages to sending
> a ps file to the plotter?
>
> Has anyone any experience with converting to the HPGL2 language and
> sending those files to a DesignJet instead of ps?
>
> Any further advice appreciated,

I don't currently have a "state-of-the-art" HP DesignJet, but all I've
used in the recent past had a de facto requirement to do this.  Simply
sending HPGL output to the plotters I've  used for anything over a B
sized drawing would have all sorts of interesting patchworks on it.
Sending a pdf or PS file would work every time.

I am supposed to be getting my hands on a new, better plotter soon, and
I'll report back on its performance.

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983