[Qgis-user] Reading in WorldClim datasets

Peter Ersts ersts at amnh.org
Fri Apr 30 08:54:59 PDT 2010

Those data are signed 16bit data, but QGIS ( and many other applications
) will load the data as 16bit-unsigned. So values will appear to be 0 to
+65,535, when they should be from −32,768 to +32,767. You will need to
convert from bil to a different format like geotiff. It is a common
problem people run into with these data, I really wish they would use a
different data format.

-pete

On 04/30/2010 02:14 AM, Nüzhet Dalfes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to GIS in general and QGIS in particular...
>
> I am trying to read in QGIS WorldClim datasets (http://www.worldclim.org/current) as raster, it does read it, but it seems that it is not getting the proper value scales...
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Nüzhet

====================================
Peter J. Ersts, Software Developer
American Museum of Natural History
Center for Biodiversity and Conservation
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, New York 10024
Web: http://biodiversityinformatics.amnh.org
Web: http://cbc.amnh.org

Open Source,
...evolving through community cooperation to change the world bit by bit

Quantum GIS Raster Development Team.