[Qgis-user] shapefiles

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Aug 8 23:25:24 PDT 2010

john wrote:
> hello all, I'm new to qgis and am having a problem getting a tiff file
> to display with all vector files at the same time. I'm using 1.5.0 on
> windows vista. also can any one tell me how to get all the layers'
> co-ordinates to display in longitude and latitude? I've tried changing
> all to wgs 84 in each layer's properties-general-specify crs but can not
> get co-ord capture to display in long,lat.  any suggestions will be
> greatly appreciated.

Hi John,
did you already succeed?

Are you sure your data and your project share the same crs?
I think QGIS is not able to reproject your raster (tiff) files, but it
can reproject your vector files.

So setting your PROJECT crs to the crs of your tiff, and (if vectors are
in other crs) enable 'on the fly projection' and set the right crs for
the vectors should do the trick.

What kind of coordinates are show below your map near 'Coordinate:' are
these in the crs you expect? It should be the crs of your tiffs.
You can then set the coordinate capture plugin to show you
wgs84/epsg:4326 coords.

If not clear, please give some more info about your data files (or sent
me a set offline)

Regards,

Richard