[Qgis-user] Announcing ProfileFromLine plugin

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 07:54:51 PDT 2010

Hi Benoit

> While testing it I've got the following error:

> Any idea why?

I think you probably have an older version of the GEOS library. Please
open a python console (it can be the Qgis python console) and type:

import shapely.geos
shapely.geos.geos_capi_version

it should return a tuple with version 1.6.0 or higher (on my system it
reads 1.6.2). Could this be the problem? What OS are you using?
I added a check for this variable that will (hopefully) display an
informative error message to the user.

> Another thing, could you tell what is the unit of Sampling interval you are using? Is it in the project units (m, feet, ...) or is it in another unit (the default, 4.00, seems very small to be in metres, but it would depend on the type of project, I suppose)? Also, the sampling interval is limited to 99.99, again, if in the project units, this is a serious limitation. Could you use an 'open' sampling interval?

Well, the unit for the sampling interval is actually the layer's own
units according to its own reference system and not the project's. The
default value of 4,00 is indeed in meters, because the original
project for which I designed this plugin is dealing with lines that
are 60m long or so. Anyway, I changed the 'sampling interval' spinbox
to accept values in the range 0.01 - 1000000. I'll try to come up with
a nicer solution, but in the mean time I hope it will work for people
that are using longer line lengths.

I uploaded a newer version (0.3) to the repository so please test it
out and see if it works for you.
Thanks for testing it out :)