[Qgis-user] Re: Brochure from FIG/FAO: FLOSS in Cadastre and Land Registration - Opportunities and Risk

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sat Aug 28 11:00:54 PDT 2010

  Hi Gertrude,

First let me thank you for working on the publication! I think it is
excellent work. I agree that some information can get outdated very quickly.

Thank you for pointing us to the existing efforts of Stefan, you and
others for Desktop GIS comparisons. I think we (the QGIS community) can
certainly help to update the QGIS column in your comparison chart
(http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Albk_XRkhVkzdGxyYk8tNEZvLUp1UTUzTFN5bjlLX2c&hl=en)
- there is quite a bit of functionality/information missing in this
chart. Things that were introduced in QGIS 1.4 and QGIS 1.5.

The question is how we deal with functionality that is only available
through Plugins? Should it be mentioned that the functionality is
available through plugin (a footnote?)

One interesting new development with QGIS is to use existing resources
also for web services. The start is the QGIS Mapserver (or QGIS server),
which can use an existing desktop project and deploy it as WMS for the
web. Together with OpenLayers/Ext/GeoExt one can do quite powerful
webmapping systems, in a relative short time. Later, additional OGC
services may follow, such as WFS server or others.

For the record: QGIS did not start as a GRASS viewer, but as a Postgis
viewer (by Gary Sherman). I believe GRASS editing was added much later.

Andreas