[Qgis-user] Re: Brochure from FIG/FAO: FLOSS in Cadastre and Land Registration - Opportunities and Risk

gpieper gertrude.pieper at online.com.kh
Sat Aug 28 05:53:38 PDT 2010

Hello Andreas and Paolo,
Thank you for your interest in the FAO-FIG publication on FLOSS for
Cadastre and Land Registration.

Quoting "Andreas Neumann-4-3 [via OSGeo.org]"
<ml-node+5472379-1576240512-79618 at n2.nabble.com>:
> They base their software comparison chart on QGIS 1.3, which is a bit
> outdated. And sometimes they make wrong statements, like "Quantum GIS is a
> light-weight frontend for GRASS data which works also well with PostGIS
> data." It would be ok, when it was stated like "Quantum GIS is also a
> lightweight frontend for GRASS data ...."

I probably should have said "Quantum GIS started out as a lightweight
frontend for GRASS data ... ".
QGIS 1.4 came out after the deadline for the publication, but I
mentioned the new functions of QGIS when presenting at the launch of
the publication in Sydney
(http://www.fig.net/pub/fig2010/ppt/ts04a/ts04a_pieper_ppt_4577.pdf)

Of course, any comparison of desktop GIS in print gets outdated very
quickly (QGIS at 1.5 now!) and a better way to do this would be by
putting it up on the OSGeo wiki (Stefan Steiniger's table is an
excellent start!) and have it updated by one or two people from each
desktop GIS project after major releases. I planned to work on that
with Cameron Shorter for FOSS4G Barcelona, but it hasn't come off the
ground yet for lack of time and resources. Does any of you know if
there has been an interest in maintaining a desktop GIS comparison
table on the OSGeo wiki from the QGIS side?

Greetings, Gertrude