[Qgis-user] Re: georeference plugin, maximum distortion needed, and black background

mtnbiketrail at zzz.com mtnbiketrail at zzz.com
Wed Feb 3 13:04:59 PST 2010

I'm trying to geo-reference some rasters.
I'm not sure which algorithm to use to get maximum match with known
GCPs, these rasters need to be distorted a lot. I thought tps and cubic
would be best. Can anyone tell me which algorithm is best?

Also, when the raster is placed(georeference completed), the background
outside the original raster is black, not transparent like I would
expect. I doubt I can trim the modified raster without losing GCPs. I
can make the raster transparent, but I don't like the results.  Is there
a solution to the black background?

Once I am satisfied with geo-referenced rasters, I can trace vector
polylines inside QGIS. Or is there a better way? Using a vector drawing
program like Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator?

I'm potentially dealing with a lot of data, so am looking for the best way.

thanks,
Tom
using 1.3