[Qgis-user] Fwd: Import _and_ process DXF?

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 22:06:48 PST 2010

> Yes, it creates shapefile with polylines, and even a separate shapefile with
> text (if you check the "Export text labels". But, it does not (can not?)
> create _polygon_ shapefile, nor there is a way to associate parcel number to
> the parcel shape... That was the question ;-).
> As for the new GDAL/OGR: Osgeo4win installer says the highest supported
> version is 1.5.4-4 (Exp setting).

CAD files can be really sloppy. Features don't have attributes, such
as labels. (The only exception is block labels associated with points,
but I'm not even sure if the FOSS offerings can do this association as
I haven't checked). Furthermore, CAD polylines can be either a polygon
or linestring, depending whether if it is closed or not. There is a
large body of documentation on CAD-to-GIS conversion strategies, using
a variety of software to accomplish a similar objective.

If you want to get fancy and efficient, you could use a spatial join
between the lot polygons and the the text shapefile (point?) locations
to update the appropriate field for label .. then review the
attributes to make sure it matches the CAD labels.

-Mike