[Qgis-user] Fwd: Import _and_ process DXF?

Zoran Jankovic zoran.jankovic at zisis.hr
Fri Feb 5 01:24:08 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 7:06 AM, Mike Toews <mwtoews at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes, it creates shapefile with polylines, and even a separate shapefile
> with
> > text (if you check the "Export text labels". But, it does not (can not?)
> > create _polygon_ shapefile, nor there is a way to associate parcel number
> > the parcel shape... That was the question ;-).
> > As for the new GDAL/OGR: Osgeo4win installer says the highest supported
> > version is 1.5.4-4 (Exp setting).
>
> CAD files can be really sloppy. Features don't have attributes, such
> as labels. (The only exception is block labels associated with points,
> but I'm not even sure if the FOSS offerings can do this association as
> I haven't checked). Furthermore, CAD polylines can be either a polygon
> or linestring, depending whether if it is closed or not. There is a
> large body of documentation on CAD-to-GIS conversion strategies, using
> a variety of software to accomplish a similar objective.
>
> If you want to get fancy and efficient, you could use a spatial join
> between the lot polygons and the the text shapefile (point?) locations
> to update the appropriate field for label .. then review the
> attributes to make sure it matches the CAD labels.
>
> -Mike

Yes, the spatial join would be the solution, except that this sample DXF
loads only as polylines, not as polygons: the source DXF file is all lines,
not polygons... So, I have one more hurdle to overcome, before I get to the
spatial join part...

BR,

---
Zoran Jankovic
ZIS-Izrada softvera i savjetovanje / ZIS - Software Development and
Consulting

http://www.zisis.hr

M: 00 385 98 682 902
T:  00 385 44 683 374