[Qgis-user] Problems with projections

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Fri Feb 19 03:29:07 PST 2010

On 02/19/2010 12:48 PM, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com wrote:
> Thanks
> we have made some progress, I have not been able to do this in qgis,
> but someone said that the projection is  this :
>
> PROJCS["WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_34N",GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",DATUM["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",500000.0],PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",21.0],PARAMETER["Scale_Factor",0.9996],PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Origin",0.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0]]

That would certainly make a difference, but it didn't work for me either.
I do re-projections like this often in QGIS (with the Vector->Data
Management tools).  If this is going all wrong, my gut reaction is that
the original is projected in some other, so far unknown, projection.
> In any case he has reprojected it with some expensive tool and I have
> some results. I cannot process any file with qgis having many problems.

Have you tried just installing the Ubuntu binaries? When did these
problems start happening?
> http://trac.osgeo.org/ubuntugis/ticket/4
> http://trac.osgeo.org/ubuntugis/ticket/5
>
> Rebuilding from source gives me this error :
> http://osmopenlayers.blogspot.com/2010/02/qgis-error-cannot-call-constructor.html
>
> Also, I have hacked the python code to add in a new "ele" to the
> import dialog, but I still cannot get a gradient coloring, It does not
> show it in the dialong.
> I am willing to put in the work to  help qgis, but need some feedback
> if I am on the right path.
Are you on the qgis-developer  maillist? You'd probably get better