[Qgis-user] Mapping landslides

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 16:34:16 PST 2010

Hi Bob,

Sure is possible. First, you need to make the icon into an SVG file.
If you have Adobe Illustrator, you can open the PDF you provided a
link to, isolate or copy the graphic and save it as SVG. Inkscape is
another good (free) tool, but it cannot open PDFs, so you will need to
trace the graphic.

Once it is an SVG, just place the file into the QGIS svg directory
somewhere (e.g., C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis-unstable\svg), and it will be
available as a point symbol next time you open QGIS. The symbol size
can be based on a numeric attribute of the layer by setting Properties
> Symbology > Drawing by field > Area scale (the location of this
option depends on which version of QGIS, I'm using 1.4.0).

-Mike