[Qgis-user] How to select records that are not on land

M.E.Dodd M.E.Dodd at open.ac.uk
Tue Jan 5 08:25:51 PST 2010

I have been trying for months to find a way of selecting the records of a land based species that have accidentally been recorded in the sea i.e. not on one of the land polygons.  I've tried qgis and mapinfo and not been able to find a way of selecting records that are NOT on the land.  Have tried adding a sea layer but both mapinfo and qgis crash (out of memory) when trying to cookie cut this to produce a sea only polygon.  The very annoying thing is that I did manage to do this once so know it is possible but just can't remember how and I've not been able to find any documentation that would help.
The records are scattered worldwide although only really interested in Europe, the vector basemap covers the whole world and the 'ocean' also covers the whole world.