[Qgis-user] QGIS performance on large project

Kurt Menke kurt at birdseyeviewgis.com
Sat Jan 23 05:49:08 PST 2010

Hello,

I'm using QGIS as a redistributable platform for a large GIS project that
spans all of western North America.  The project has 36 layers 8 of which
are large raster datasets (*.img files).  Some of the rasters are ~350mb
each.  I'm running the latest version 1.4.0-2.  I am running it on a pretty
powerful workstation (windows XP) and am using the osgeo4w version. My
primary user is using a MacBook Pro with Leopard and is using the standalone
version.  He is experiencing pretty poor performance.  It  moves very very
slowly, each operation.  Even turning off/on simple layers is taking up to
45 seconds. This occurs even if there are a handful of base layers turned
on.

I've seen some discussion of slow start up issues and raster rendering
issues.

Would JasPer effect *.img rendering?  If so how can I determine if I or my
MacBook user are running that?

Does QGIS utilize *.rrd pyramid files generated by ArcGIS?

I've also generated spatial indices for all the vector layers.  Any other
suggestions on how to improve performance or test for the bottle neck would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kurt

Kurt Menke, GISP