[Qgis-user] Re: QR barcodes

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Jan 28 11:40:28 PST 2010

mtnbiketrail at zzz.com wrote:
> I saw the walking-papers.org website. Here is my question:
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction on how this would be done inside
> QGIS? How would I generate a QR code for a printed map made from inside
> QGIS. Or does it only work with certain map programs? The QR barcode
> generators I found seem to be stand alone programs.
> thanks,
> Tom

Sure you'll need to find an open source library for encoding the
barcodes. One example might be http://qrcode.sourceforge.jp/
Then you can write a qgis plugin that integrates into the app. Basically
a prompt that asks for the information need to create the barcode and
then places the results on the map composer or map window (kinda like
the north arrow).
Note you could cheat for now and create it oustide the app and make it a
north arrow or just drop it on top of the final map.

Alex