[Qgis-user] some impressions from my students

Carlos Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 10:11:48 PST 2010

Andreas (and all), thanks for your reply, I'll pass that to my students.

I've using GRASS for a few years, for my research, but now that I
started teaching, QGIS is the way to go. The students are loving it.
("teach, it's sooooo much easier than ArcGIS!").

As for the identify features issue:

>> Identify features: is there a way to identify one feature that's
>> partially visible, but the layer is not selected, so I can find out to
>> which layer it belongs?
>
> This is already possible. You need to change the behavior:
>
> Options --> MapTools --> Identify Mode --> set to "top down" or "top down,
> stop at first" - depending if you want to get all hits or want to stop at
> the first hit. You need at least QGIS 1.4 or higher.

This is nice, but a little annoying if you want to change the behavior
more than often. Maybe this could be a drop-down list in the results
dialog? So one could change the way it works more interactively.

I'll keep you guys posted about the experiences of my students.

best

Carlos

--
Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Geologist D.Sc.
Institute of Geosciences - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil